Original recipe by Coach Cara
Coach Cara’s tip: Place tofu on the bottom of the Crockpot to soak in as much flavor as possible. Be careful when removing the tofu strips as they can fall apart easily.
3 packs extra firm tofu, sliced into strips (ideally press with paper towels between 2 plates to squeeze out water)
8 ounces cremini mushrooms, coarsely chopped
½ medium onion, finely chopped
1 large celery stalk, sliced crosswise into 1/4″-thick pieces (about 3/4 cup) 2 shallots, chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
4 cups vegetable broth
½ cup dry white wine (optional)
½ cup raw pecans, coarsely chopped (may substitute with cashews or other nut) 3 Tbsp oil
1 ½ tsp kosher salt (if not available, your regular salt is okay)
freshly ground black pepper to taste
5 thyme sprigs
2 bay leaves
1 Tbsp parsley, coarsely chopped
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp pure maple syrup
½ tsp smoked paprika
⅛ tsp cayenne pepper
3 Tbsp white miso paste (optional)
- Wash and chop all the veggies.
- Remove excess water from the tofu by pressing with paper towels between two plates to squeeze out excess water.
- Place all ingredients, including spices and seasonings in a slow cooker. Cook for 5 hours on low or 2.5 hours on high.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as needed. When finished cooking, remove tofu strips and set in a serving dish.
- Use the remaining liquid in the slow cooker the make the sauce. Remove and discard the thyme stems and bay leaves. Stir in 2 tablespoons flour and 2 tablespoons cornstarch in the remaining liquid, stir until thickened.
- Plate the tofu, and spoon the sauce on top. Garnish with additional herbs if desired.
Yes Health is a low-cost, weight loss and diabetes-prevention program committed to helping everyone live healthier, happier lives.