1 red bell pepper
1 large onion
1-4 large tomatoes
3-4 garlic cloves, chopped/crushed
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp tomato paste
Salt and pepper to taste
Coach Susan’s tip: To maximize garlic’s health benefits, chop or crush the garlic and allow it to sit for 10 to 15 minutes before cooking. This allows for the enzyme alliinase to be released and form a variety of healthy compounds in garlic to be absorbed.
- Wash and chop all veggies. Allow garlic to sit for 10-15 minutes before cooking (see Coach tip).
- Sautee onions in olive oil until translucent, then add garlic. Cook for 1-2 minutes. Be careful not to burn the garlic! Lower heat if needed.
- Add the tomatoes and bell pepper and sautee until tomatoes are softened. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add tomato paste and stir. Cover with a tilted lid on low for an hour. Add chili pepper if desired. Add more water as needed if it looks too dry!
- Break eggs over the veggie-tomato mixture. Cover and cook for 2-5 minutes until white are fully cooked and yolks are cooked to desired consistency.
Serve with whole grain bread if desired.
Yes Health is a low-cost, weight loss and diabetes-prevention program committed to helping everyone live healthier, happier lives.