Try as we might, we don’t always have the time, energy or opportunity to plan ahead for three square meals a day. (We are only human after all.) Sometimes we work late and are too ravenous to make dinner or our plane is delayed (again) and we’re left to fend for ourselves at the airport. While dining out at fast food chains on a regular basis isn’t ideal for a healthy diet, thankfully their offerings have expanded beyond greasy burgers and cardboard fries to include some much more nutritious options.
Here are seven favorite Yes Health coach go-tos when you find yourself in a pinch:
- Starbucks Spinach Feta Wrap – This high-protein grab-and-go has a healthy veggie and egg-white filling inside a whole grain tortilla.
- Chipotle Chicken Burrito Bowl – Nix the cheese and sour cream and opt for brown rice in this deconstructed burrito dish.
- Panera Smoked Turkey Breast Sandwich – Order from the “You Pick Two” menu to try a half sandwich and small salad for plenty of protein and fiber.
- Shake Shack Single Hamburger or Chicken Dog – Choose between beef or a vegetarian ‘Shroom Burger or opt for the Chicken Dog for a high-protein meal that hits the spot.
- Chick-fil-A Eight-count Grilled Chicken Nuggets + Superfood Side Salad – The nuggets will keep you feeling full while the superfood side salad (kale, broccolini, dried cherries and nuts) is packed with vitamins and minerals.
- Wendy’s Power Mediterranean Chicken Salad (half) + Small Chili – This salad-soup combo is high in protein and fiber and a smart choice for a quick meal any time of day.
- Starbucks Steel-cut Oatmeal – No time for breakfast? Add the berries and nuts, but skip the brown sugar or agave for a healthy start to your day.
For even more options (with detailed calorie, protein and fiber breakdowns), check out this roundup of the healthiest orders at every fast food chain.
Yes Health is a low-cost, weight loss and diabetes-prevention program committed to helping everyone live healthier, happier lives.